Where We Meet
The Austin Fly Fishers meets on the 3rd Thursday of each month, from 7:00 to 9:00 PM at The Northwest Recreation Center in Austin TX. If you show up a little early, you will often find some of our fly tiers busy at their craft. At the general meeting, we usually have an expert speaker who will share tips or techniques for fly fishing, or let us know about conservation issues or great fishing spots, both near home and around the globe. Everyone is welcome, regardless of experience!
How to Join
The only “requirement” for membership is that you be interested in the sport of fishing, and in particular flyfishing. If you do not know anything about flyfishing, but are interested in learning, we are the club for you. We have members that are very interested in sharing their knowledge and expertise with you. Why pay for fly fishing classes including fly casting and fly tying when you can gain all that knowledge at our gatherings for free? And to top that, we have a monthly outing where you can try your newly gained knowledge!! What a deal!! Read on………
Membership in the Austin Fly Fishers includes the monthly newsletter. Membership in the Federation of Flyfishers includes the quarterly publication The Flyfisher as well as the Southern Council of Fly Fishers newsletter, the Long Cast.
Other benefits of membership:
- Educational opportunities to learn or to improve your casting and fly tying skills
- Regular outings that provide insight into great fishing opportunities as well as a chance to try new tips, techniques, and strategies while enjoying the fellowship of other local anglers
- Programs tailored specifically for women and young anglers
- Programs focusing on warm water and saltwater as well as coldwater fish species
- An annual banquet featuring some of the most recognized leaders in the sport and a live auction with chances to bid on trips, gear, lessons, and more
- A monthly newsletter focusing on local and regional issues, events and opportunities
- The Austin Fly Fishers website, with the latest tips on where the fish are biting, as well as current trip, meeting and event information